American Express Gold Card review: A big welcome offer, dining and Uber credits, and bonus points in top categories make this card hard to beat
This article is brought to you by the Personal Finance Insider team. It has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of the issuers listed. Some of the offers you see on the page are from our partners like Citi and American Express, but our coverage is always independent. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page.
American Express® Gold Card
There are lots of Amex Membership Rewards redemption options for those who aren’t traveling, but you’ll typically get the most value when you use points for travel. You can transfer points to nearly two dozen American Express airline and hotel partners for award flights and stays, and depending on what you book, you could get a value of 2 or more cents for each point. This can be an especially good deal for international first-class and business-class flights.
If you don’t want to worry about award charts or blackout dates, you can also redeem points at a rate of 1 cent apiece for flights, hotels, rental cars, and more through American Express Travel.
Quick tip: Amex points won’t expire as long as your card is open and in good standing, so even if you’re not ready to travel now, there’s no harm in building up your balance for when you’re ready to take a trip after the pandemic ends.
Other options for redeeming Amex Membership Rewards points include:
- Use points to buy gift cards (usually 1 cent per point)
- Cash in points for statement credits toward purchases made on your card (0.6 cents per point)
- Pay with points at checkout at Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Saks Fifth Avenue, Boxed.com, Dell.com, Staples, and more (0.7 cents per point)
- Redeem points for food delivery with GrubHub and Seamless (0.7 cents per point)
- Use points to pay for New York City taxi fare in vehicles using enabled point-of-sale devices (1 cent per point)
- Shop with points for merchandise and gifts through Amex (usually 0.5 cents per point)
Whatever your plans are, earning flexible points like Amex Membership Rewards is a smart move. Instead of locking yourself into a specific airline or hotel program, you’ll have the option to turn rewards into travel when you’re ready, or statement credits, merchandise, and gifts if you’d rather stay close to home.
American Express Gold card benefits and features
The Amex Gold Card comes with valuable perks for shopping, dining, and travel perks that can help you save money, including monthly credits that can put a big dent in the card’s annual fee.
Up to $10 in monthly dining credits (up to $120 per year)
Amex Gold Cardholders receive up to $10 per month back in statement credits, worth up to $120 per year, toward purchases with Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations.
Even if you don’t visit the participating restaurants, getting the credits for Grubhub and Seamless food deliveries makes it easy to max out the credit each month, since you’ll have so many restaurants to choose from. After you use your Amex Gold Card for the purchase, you’ll receive the statement credit — but keep in mind, if you don’t use the full credit one month, it won’t roll over to the next.
Up to $10 per month in Uber Cash credits
The newest benefit offered by the Amex Gold Card is up to $10 per month in Uber Cash credit, again up to a maximum of $120 per year. Once you add your Amex Gold Card as a payment method in your Uber account, it works just like the Uber credits on the Amex Platinum card. These Uber Cash credits can be used toward eligible US Uber rides or Uber Eats purchases
You can redeem Uber Cash toward Uber rides or Uber Eats food delivery in the US, but if you don’t use up the entire credit each month, it won’t roll over to the next.
Complimentary year of Uber Eats Pass
Cardholders can save on delivery fees and get discounts by activating a free year of Uber Eats Pass by December 31, 2021. Be sure to activate your complimentary year of Uber Eats Pass (worth up to $119 based on the $9.99 monthly price over 12 months) through the Uber Eats app before you spend your new credits on food delivery (you need to enroll by 12/31/2021). You’ll get waived delivery fees and a 5% discount on orders of $15 or more at eligible restaurants (taxes and service fees may apply and do not count toward the order minimum).
Travel and shopping benefits
When you use your Amex Gold Card to pay for eligible travel, you’ll receive baggage insurance, secondary rental car insurance, and perks at Amex Hotel Collection properties when you book through American Express. The Amex Gold Card also offers trip delay insurance of up to $500 per trip when your trip booked with the card is delayed by six hours or more.
Amex is known for excellent shopping protections, and with the Amex Gold Card, you’ll get perks like purchase protection, return protection, and extended warranty on eligible items. Cardholders can also enroll for a complimentary ShopRunner membership (usually $79 per year), which offers free two-day shipping and returns at participating retailers.
Cardholders can also access a Global Assistance Hotline for help arranging things like translation services, passport replacement, and medical referrals, but any third-party costs are still your responsibility.
American Express® Gold Card
See Pay Over Time APR
60,000 points after you spend at least $4,000 in your first 6 months of account opening
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- $120 Uber Cash: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- Great rewards for dining and for shopping at US supermarkets
- Monthly statement credit for eligible dining purchases recoups some of the annual fee
- Underwhelming welcome bonus
American Express Gold card fees and costs
Although the Amex Gold Card charges a $250 annual fee, it’s possible to get much more value than that each year between statement credits, perks, and bonus points. It’s also a good choice for international purchases, because you won’t pay foreign transaction fees.
As with most other cards, there are fees for late and returned payments and cash advances (See Rates).
Jasmin Baron is an associate editor at Personal Finance Insider, where she helps readers maximize rewards and find the best credit cards to fit their lifestyles.
Source: Read Full Article