Copa America has no host: Argentina dropped by CONMEBOL due to COVID-19 outbreak
SAO PAULO (AP) — Copa America is without a host country only two weeks before kickoff after South American soccer body CONMEBOL ruled out Argentina amid an increase in COVID-19 cases in the country.
The announcement Sunday night casts doubt on a tournament which has faced major hurdles since the start of the pandemic in March of last year.
CONMEBOL said on Twitter — and it was later confirmed by an official — that it was analyzing “the offer of other nations who showed interest in hosting the continental tournament,” without naming them. It also said a new host will be announced “soon.”
Copa America is scheduled to be played between June 13 and July 10. South American teams are already training for the tournament and two rounds of World Cup qualifiers are starting this week.
Like other continental tournaments, Copa America was initially scheduled for 2020, but the COVID-19 pandemic forced its postponement. But difficulties mounted as the virus continued to strike the region hard and vaccine rollout remained slow.
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: Chelsea wins for second time in its history, defeats Manchester City in final
LOOK: The staggeringly beautiful moment when Christian Pulisic realized he won Champions League
PHOTOS: Incredible images from Chelsea's Champions League win
Source: Read Full Article