Home » Social Determinants of Health: Technology, examples and healthcare trends in 2021
Social Determinants of Health: Technology, examples and healthcare trends in 2021
Healthcare payers and providers are broadening the scope of health-influencing factors they address to include social determinants of health (SDOH).
Below, we outline how digital technology in healthcare is working to address SDOH.
Do you work in the Healthcare industry? Get business insights on the latest tech innovations, market trends, and your competitors with data-driven research.
The following is a preview of one Digital Health report, the Social Determinants of Health Report. You can purchase this report here.
The coronavirus pandemic afflicted the US healthcare industry at a time when it was already experiencing rising rates of chronic disease, doctor burnout, and staff shortages—but it especially took a toll on some of the most vulnerable, at- risk communities across the country.
Widening health disparities are leading healthcare payers and providers to broaden the scope of health-influencing factors they address to include social determinants of health (SDOH), like income and access healthy food. But how do tech and digital transformation play into this?
Learn how emerging tech companies have assisted SDOH healthcare players, and how the pandemic has affected these initiatives.
What are social determinants of health (SDOH)?
Social determinants of health (SDOH) are non-medical, economic and environmental conditions that both directly and indirectly impact one’s health, like access to transportation and nutritious food. SDOH analytics show that these conditions influence health inequities and have a massive effect on population health outcomes.
While care received in medical facilities can account for approximately 10% to 20% of health outcomes, the remaining 80% to 90% can be attributed to SDOH.
Examples of social determinants of health according to the CDC include: