Don’t be surprised by fast food’s bait-and-switch

Dear John: I am 67 years old — a dinosaur in the computer age. I’m on a fixed income and angry.

I’m especially angry at the fast-food industry because of how they promote their products in colorful advertising, but serve you something that is not even close to their ads.

I call it bait and switch.

This week I am going to write McDonald’s and Carl’s Jr. to protest their practice.

But my one letter will not get their attention.

When I get to one of those restaurants, I take a photo of what I order. If it is not even close — which is all the time — I ask for my money back, claiming false advertising.

I write to you for advice on how I can generate a lot of interest in this so that maybe, just maybe, they would become more responsible in their advertising.

Thank you for your time on this. LA

Dear LA: You not only have the initials LA, but you also live in Burbank, Calif. — right in the heart of the land of make-believe. And your complaint is about misleading advertising.

I see a lot of irony in that.

Anyway, I’ll print your letter, and we’ll see if this bothers anyone.

Personally, I think if you don’t expect too much from the fast food industry you won’t be disappointed.

Dear John: Many years ago, my wife’s aunt gave her a Series EE bond with a $10,000 face value.

The bond was made out with her aunt’s name but immediately after her name were the words “POD” (payable on death) with my wife’s name.

My wife’s aunt died in 2010 at the age of 99. She left no will, there was no executor, there were no living spouse or siblings, and no children. She lived most of her life in lower Manhattan and died in St Vincent’s hospital.

My wife went to cash the bond last year but was told that she needed an original death certificate. She submitted an application to the bureau in NYC but was advised that she is not eligible since she didn’t fall into the right relationship, e.g., husband, sister, child, sibling.

We sent an e-mail to US Treasurer’s office but they told us again that she needs the death certificate.

At this point, we’re not sure what we do. Can you help? BD

Dear BD: My sources in NYC’s Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, which handles such things, say your wife can get a death certificate if she brings the bond to the city’s Vital Records office at 125 Worth St. in Manhattan.

“Your reader does have a property right as long as her name appears on the bond with her dead aunt’s name,” says my source. Once you get the death certificate, you should be able to cash the bond through any bank.

I’m sending you separately the e-mail I got from my source in case you run into trouble at the Worth Street office.

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Source: Read Full Article