The easiest way to cash bonds and get your money quickly

Dear John: I don’t think banks cash Series EE US government bonds. I believe you have to bring them to the US Treasury in Minneapolis. Mitch

Dear Mitch: Here’s what the Treasury says: “You can cash paper EE and E bonds at most local financial institutions.

This is the easiest way to cash bonds and the quickest way to get access to your money. Or, you can cash bonds by mailing them to Treasury Retail Securities Site, PO Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214.”

Some banks might not want to go to the trouble of cashing bonds. But if you are a good, long-term customer they should.

If you are sending the bonds by mail to the Treasury, you should make sure that you record the serial number on the bonds. And you should insure the bonds when you send them.

Dear John: This is regarding your reader who was looking for her aunt’s death certificate so she could cash in some savings bonds.

If the wife’s aunt had no will and no living spouse or children, but left an estate, it’s highly likely the niece/wife would inherit that and the savings bonds.

She should check with the Surrogate’s Court to see if there was anything left of value. DD

Dear DD: Good advice. It’ll be like digging for gold without getting dirty.

Source: Read Full Article